Monday, December 15, 2008

Kathryn Elizabeth Mitchell

Oh, where to begin? I guess where we last left off. This might be a long one, so either skip to the bottom if you just want pictures or settle in. I'll try to give the short version!

We arrived at the hospital on Thrursday afternoon about 3:45. By 4:30, I was in my hospital room, hooked up to the Pitocin to help keep my labor moving along. They checked me at about 9, and I was at 1 centimeter - finally some dialation! Then, by 11, I was between a 1 and a 2. A little disappointing, but still progression. At about 12, I realized it was going to be quite a long night and made the decision to get an epidural so that I would have the energy for the rest of my labor throughout the night.
We tried to get a little sleep between blood pressure being taken every 15 minutes, a heart monitor, vitals being taken, etc. and at 6:15, my doctor came in to check me again. This time things were a little different. I was still progressing, but still slowly. The difference was Kathryn wasn't having it anymore. Her heart rate had begun to dip with my contractions, and then her heart rate went up higher than it should be, and wouldn't come back down. Dr. Martin began to discuss the option of a C-section. At the time, I thought it was just that it "might" happen. She sat there with us for about 15 more minutes and by the end of that 15 minutes, it wasn't just a possibility anymore. Dr. Martin said that Kate had finally just had enough. I had been having contractions for about 3 days at this point, and her little body just couldn't handle it anymore. She was concerned that if she let me progress the rest of the way, by the time I got there Kate would be very sick.
I was disappointed, but I knew that a healthy baby was alll that mattered. So, a little more epidural, a cute outfit for David, and 30 minutes later, Kate was being delivered!
She is absolutely beautiful. Everyone talks about what an even combination she is of David and I - the "Mitchell cheeks", my hair line, my nose, Davids deep-set eyes, etc. It is amazing to look at this baby and see ourselves.
during my C-section
being wiped off just after delivery

brand new!



This post only took me all day to write - turns out having a newborn takes a little time ;) I am going to try to get a post up again later tonight/tomorrow of more pictures so you can see what she really looks like now!

2 comments:

Kristin said...

She is absolutely beautiful! Congrats to the two of you! I am so very very very excited for you! I wish I could have been there! Love ya!
Kris

The Bynum's said...

CONGRAT'S AMY!!! She is beautiful! Glad she is here. I just found your blog again so a little late in hearing the news. I am so excited for you and going to go ahead and read some more about precious Kate.
Katie