Thursday, June 25, 2009

Crafty Mommy

If you have a new baby/have ever had a new baby, and have gone from two incomes to one (well, two to 1 1/2), you understand the need to get crafty to save some money!

I have really had a lot of fun trying some new things, so I thought I'd share them with you!
Bibs
Kate is a DROOOOLER!! Since about 2 months old, the waterfall started, and I don't think it's a teething thing with her. She got her first teeth around 5 months, and is not cutting teeth now, but the flow still comes. So in a time of feeling frustrated with how often I had to wash her bibs (sometimes I would do an entire load of them - the kid goes through 3-4 a day!), I decided to get out some fabric and make her some! I also used some of the fabric to make a few extra burp cloths/spit rags...

Bows
When Kate hit about 5 months, her cheeks had outgrown all of her little bows, and I was convinced I could make some instead of spending more money! So, my friend Janette came over and we taught ourselves how to make bows for our little girls! (Yes, Kate's is enormous in this picture...but she's grown into it now!)


Here's Kate in one my favorite bows I made with her Aunt Kristin...



...and another favorite...


Food
When we started thinking about feeding Kate solid food, I remembered that my friend Ashley had made baby food for her little girl, Kendall. I called and asked her some questions about it, because I was a little hesitant. I was concerned about how much trouble it would be. I was mostly interested about saving money, because let's be honest, I'm not organic. I enjoy processed food with the best of them. The more I talked to her, the more interested I became. It is SO EASY! I spent one day boiling & pureeing fruits & veggies, then froze them all in ice cube trays & I've got enough baby food for MONTHS in my freezer!



I am so glad I did this. So easy - and most importantly to me - so cheap!!!

And, even though it wasn't the reason I did it, I do feel good about giving Kate food that is good for her!




Those are the things I've tried...any ideas from you other mom's out there???

1 comment:

Jaime said...

I love the bibs and bows!! GREAT job!

And, great job on making Kate's food! Cheap and yummy! :-)