Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Attack of the Ants

I had one of those horrible mommy moments.  We had some friends over & the big kids (Kate & her friend) had gone outside to play in the back yard.  They had let Hannah out with them, which Kate does often.

I had just said to my friend (we were sitting inside & visiting) that I realized Hannah didn't have any shoes on & I should probably go get some when Kate & Andrew came RUNNING telling us that Hannah had ants.

Oh my word.  36 weeks pregnant - turns out I can still run.  Poor baby was standing in the back corner of the yard with feet, legs & hands covered in ants - screaming!  We immediately threw her in a cool bath to get the ants off & hopefully take some of the sting out.  I called the pediatrician to get instructions on what to do & sat there feeling horrible.






She of course has handled it like a champ.  We did a couple rounds of Benadryl & Ibuprophen, but she never had any symptoms of allergy, and she didn't even scratch ONCE!  That was my biggest fear, that she would scratch them and they'd end up infected, but she was great.

So, even though I know I didn't do anything "wrong", I just felt horrible for her. I never got a final count, but I do know that just on her TINY LITTLE PINKY TOE there were 20 bites.  Little girl went shoeless for a few days & healed up so much faster than I expected.  No doubt though - someone wears shoes ALWAYS in the backyard!

No comments: