Thursday, February 11, 2010

Couponing

Well, I decided to bite the bullet & try to learn to use coupons. I get so tired of spending money at the grocery store! I'm not so much interested in saving money to put it in savings, because well...David makes our budget tight enough for that! haha! But, I would just so much rather spend it differently. If I could save $100 a month, I would much rather spend it on going on a date or buying a gift for someone or something a whole lot better than groceries.

So, I asked a good friend to teach me all that she knows about couponing & I'm going to try it out. I have a few hesitations - spending too much time on it, buying stuff I don't need, having to "stockpile" a bunch of stuff we don't need this week just because we might need it in a few weeks. But, I decided it was worth a try to see how it works for me. I want to keep record of it for this first month to see what I can accomplish...

So, last Sunday I bought my first paper to clip coupons out of, checked out a few blogs to tell me what the best sales were, and headed to Kroger today - IN THE SNOW! For my first trip, I got $28 of groceries for $13! I only bought a few things (pic below), but I wanted to just get a few for my first try out. And, I'm trying really hard not to buy things we wouldn't have before just b/c I have a coupon for it. So, it wasn't an enormous savings - but it was more than %50 off!

I even had my first "that couponing girl" moment when one of my items wasn't ringing up right & had to get her to fix it. Oh well.

Here's Kate in the snow when we got out to the car! Such a trooper :)


I'll keep you updated as I go! (I know you're dying to know...)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! So glad it was a good first day. Good to hear about, but Kate in the snow is even better! What great shoppers!

Dani said...

After awhile it gets really fun...I go to the store and get excited to see how much I saved!! Good luck with it, I hope you are successful!!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world of using coupons. I have been couponing since I started teaching in 1980.I only use coupons on the things I really eat/use.Every little bit of money saved can really begin to add up! I'm also a fan of tossing my loose change into a jar and letting it add up for a few months. Every penny counts for something! How fun it is that you all are getting snow.

Love,
Aunt Nancy

Courtney said...

Keep me updated. It's funny because we started last week. I'm not a fan yet but I'm gonna keep trying.

Life with the Akin Clan said...

I love couponing! My kids even get into it now. Are you going to the class at the Johnson's house? Evelyn is the queen of couponing! She has taught me so much. I saved $138 during the last big sale at Kroger. I love that! Just wait until Kate starts looking through them declaring you CAN buy these treats because you have a coupon!