Monday, November 16, 2009

Fighting the Good Fight

Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. - Prov. 22:6



David & I have been talking lately about it's probably time to start disciplining Kate in some areas. She really hasn't done much that required response from us - she doesn't know how to open cabinets, etc. Lately though, she has started screaming at us when she wants something (usually food). Well, that's just not ok with us, so after polling a few more experienced moms we came up with a plan to attempt to stop the behavior. We decided what would work best for us was that when she yelled, we would tell her "no" the first time, then if she did it again give her a thump on the leg.



Well, we decided this on Sunday afternoon, and she gave us our first try on Sunday night. She saw waffles on the table, pointed, and let out a good yell to let me know that she wanted some. I told her no, and asked her to say (sign) please or more. She did not, and yelled again. So, I thumped her. She did not like that...so she yelled again and began throwing a fit, which resulted in yet another thump. This time, her big bottom lip came out, and big tears started to flow. I was so glad David was there. I naturally want to give in when I see tears, but I know I wasn't hurting her, and in the end giving in to her every want would just hurt her more, so I was glad to have his encouragment to keep working through it. She would cry, I would ask her to say please, she would cry, I would ask her to say more. I am sure this only lasted about 3 minutes, but it felt like forever!



Finally, she did it! That sweet little hand went to her chest and signed please!I was cheering, she was smiling. It was so great! I was so glad I had stuck to my guns. The next few times there were a few little grunts when she wanted it, but after me saying no, she would sign. No more thumping required!



I'm sure we'll have many more battles to fight, and when she's in junior high and yelling back at me a small thump on the leg with a few tears will seem like nothing. Tonight though, it was a great victory in my long road of parenting.

4 comments:

Janette said...

Yay, Kate, for figuring it out! :) It doesn't take long to discover how to get what you want the right way. I'm glad the "battle" didn't last long. It's hard, but you're right, it has to be done and it's for everyone's good.

Nathaniel and Bethany said...

YAY! Way to go Amy! You are such a good mom! :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I'm proud of all 3 of you! Not only does she look like her mom at 11 months, she has a mind of her own like her mommy did/does! God will use it as you guide her. You're doing great. Love you all!