Thursday, December 23, 2010

Finally!


Well, I am SO FAR behind in blogging (we're talking I haven't done Halloween!) I thought I'd just start now & hopefully I'll be catching up soon.

Since I know all that really matters at this point & I've been highly rebuked for not putting up info & pictures of Hannah that is where I'm going to start!

Here is her birth story - full of details, so skip ahead if all you are looking for is pictures!
Saturday morning, my c-section was scheduled for 7:30 in the morning. We had to be there at
6:00am, so after a weird night's sleep of waking up every couple hours we finally got up at 5:00 and got ready to head up there!
The last picture of my pregnant!

As soon as we got to the hospital the preparations began! IVs, monitors,
millions of questions, paperwork & waiting. Turns out I was already having contractions every 2-3 minutes when we got there so, it would've been baby time soon, anyway!
Just waiting!

Finally they came in to give me info about the actual procedure, handed David his clothes to put on for the surgery & wheeled me away!
It was so incredibly surreal knowing what was coming. I got my spinal block - it was much better than an epidural for me - my blood pressure didn't crash, I was numb before I even got to lay all the way down, and I didn't shake! Before I knew it Dr. Martin came in & they got started! It seemed to take forever - even though within 15 minutes she was here!
Our moms peeking through the crack in the door!

She came out crying - well squealing! We couldn't stop laughing at the girly squeal she had. As they pulled her out they remarked at how she was a "big girl". I didn't think much about it because they said the same thing with Kate, and we were already expecting about 8 1/2 pounds. Well, we weren't expecting them to call this out...


WHAT?!?! I couldn't believe I had carried around almost a 10 pound baby!! She scored a 9.9 on her apgar & they took her away to clean her off (she had lots of vernix) and warm her up a bit.
About this time my spinal block started wearing off! I couldn't feel anything really painful, but contractions had started up again & those were NOT FUN. After they got me all sewn up, I begged for some pain medication & they got me all settled.


Something else I really enjoyed this time around was that they brought her to me within 30-45 minutes! With Kate, it took a couple hours before I ever saw her. This time I got to hold & feed her almost right after I got back to the recovery room. After about an hour or so, they came back to get her to bathe her and during that time they got me all recovered & sent to my new room.

People said I would like having it all planned & not having to go through labor. The jury is still out for me. I think I was just as tired from not sleeping well and it was strange knowing it was coming. No doubt about it though, this time was MUCH more relaxed. I'm not sure if it's because we had an idea of what was to come, or what, but overall Hannah's birth was a GREAT experience!

Since birth pictures aren't so great of babies, I'll leave you with this...



Next up: our hospital stay

1 comment:

Janette said...

I'm so glad everything went so well. Hannah is so beautiful!! :)